Services & Techniques
- Our licensed chiropractors can help you improve the function and movement of muscles and joints in your body - to give you a healthier, more active lifestyle. Our chiropractors use a whole-body approach that addresses the source of your complaint, not just the symptoms.
- Chiropractors provide physical solutions - using gentle adjustments, corrective exercises, stretches, and muscle therapy - to help all areas of the body heal from conditions that are physical in nature. This includes back pain, injuries such as ankle sprains, shoulder issues, knee pain, muscle spasms, headaches, and poor posture.
- Chiropractic care can also be used to prevent injuries and help you achieve optimal health or wellness. Why not prevent little aches and pains from becoming big ones?
- Over 4 million Canadians visit a chiropractor each year. If pain takes you away from work, or causes interruptions or restrictions in the activities of your daily life then it's time to plan a visit to your chiropractor.
- Whether it's a new injury, aches and pains that won't go away or simply wanting to feel your best, we're here to help you. Make an appointment today to improve your health tomorrow.
Chiropractic & Pregnancy
- Misalignments can occur at any time, creating an imbalance in the muscles and ligaments in the body. These areas may be tight, sore, or just not feeling as good as they should. This is especially true during pregnancy. The changes that take place during pregnancy include an increase in hormones, weight gain, and postural adaptations. All of this can lead to dysfunction and/or discomfort in the surrounding muscles and joints, which can be relieved with chiropractic care.
- The Webster Technique
- This technique can be used to help improve the mother's pelvic alignment during pregnancy. It is a safe and gentle adjustment that helps to reduce the effects of joint dysfunction during pregnancy. It can also help to restore balance in the pelvic muscles and ligaments and reduce torsion to the uterus, which can help to make labour less difficult.
- It is common to experience low back pain, headaches, rib pain and other joint complaints during a healthy pregnancy. Chiropractic treatment can help to reduce pain, improve mechanics and prevent postural changes from becoming chronic. Regular adjustments during pregnancy are also related to shorter labour times, reduced pain and less need for pain medications. After delivery, chiropractic care can help new mothers to become more comfortable during breast-feeding, and help them to adapt to the postural changes that occur while taking care of a new baby.
- Dr. Armstrong has been trained in the Webster protocol and earned a Certificate of Proficiency by the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association.
Babies, Kids & Chiropractic
- There are many benefits of chiropractic for growing children. For optimal development, it is essential to have a healthy spine, as well as proper motion in the muscles and joints in the body. Although gaining popularity, this area of chiropractic care is not new.
- Children don't need to be in pain to benefit from chiropractic care. It is common to bring babies in for wellness check-ups following birth or if they show signs of favouring, or experience colic-like symptoms. As kids get older and start moving around, they can often fall and may be in need of a check-up. If there are imbalances or asymmetry in the joint alignment, it's better when they are corrected early. It is much more difficult to correct postural patterns once they've become established and kids become adults.
- The techniques used for adjusting children are not the same as those used on adults. There is no heavy pressure used and children typically enjoy the process. Often, it's a matter of moving the child into a position of comfort and holding that position and things will reset nicely on their own.
Active Release Technique (ART)
- Active Release Technique (ART) is a patented, state of the art soft tissue system/movement technique that treats problems with muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia and nerves. These conditions all have one important thing in common: they are often a result of overused muscles. In overuse conditions, your body produces tough, dense scar tissue in the affected area.
- As scar tissue builds up, muscles become shorter and weaker, tension on tendons causes tendonitis, and nerves can become trapped. This can cause reduced range of motion, loss of strength, and pain. If a nerve is trapped you may also feel tingling, numbness, and weakness. Headaches, back pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, shin splints, shoulder pain, sciatica, plantar fasciitis, knee problems, and tennis elbow are just a few of the many conditions that can be resolved quickly and permanently with A.R.T. Although popular among athletes, ART can help to treat any overuse condition.
Chiropractic & Sports
- Chiropractic is not only beneficial to the experienced and professional athlete, but is beneficial to the amateur and weekend athlete as well. Treatment of athletes helps to enhance performance, and to prevent and manage injury. Chiropractors are able to apply their knowledge of the body, as well as biomechanics and musculoskeletal function, to injuries and their treatment.
- Many high-performance athletes and their coaches have found that chiropractic plays a major role in three important areas: maximum performance, injury prevention and management of injury. In order to perform at their maximum ability, athletes must have full range of motion without restriction in their joints. No matter what your age or level of athletic achievement, chiropractic should be included in your sports routine.
- FORM Health is proud to work with many of our local amateur sports teams. We enjoy seeing our young athletes achieve success and build character through sport. We treat a variety of athletes from virtually every sport. Our goal is always to get the individual back to being active as quickly, and safely, as possible.
- Massage therapy consists primarily of hands-on treatment of the soft tissues of the body, specifically, the muscles, connective tissue, tendons, ligaments and joints for the purpose of relieving pain and optimizing health.
- Massage therapy treatment has a therapeutic effect on the body and optimizes health and well-being by acting on the muscular, nervous and circulatory systems. Physical function can be maintained and improved; and physical dysfunction and pain and the effects of stress can be relieved or prevented through the use of Massage Therapy. Massage can be used as a stand-alone treatment or in combination with other therapies.
- Acupuncture uses the insertion of fine needles to stimulate certain parts of the body, which have the ability to alter various biochemical and physiological conditions. Acupuncture stimulates the release of endorphins, which are the body's natural pain-relieving neurohormones. Acupuncture also affects the functioning of the hormonal system, promoting a decrease in inflammation, while increasing circulation and decreasing pain.
- Acupuncture is very effective in the treatment of a vast number of painful conditions such as: low back pain, neck pain, sciatica, sprains, whiplash, numbness, headaches, migraines as well as neurological pain and other conditions. It can also be used to reduce stress and anxiety.
- Dr. Adam Armstrong completed the Contemporary Medical Acupuncture Program for health care professionals offered by McMaster University.
Combine Acupuncture with Chiropractic Treatments
Shift Concussion Management
- Concussions have quickly become a nationwide concern. The Shift Concussion
Management Program provides education and training for Healthcare Providers
on up-to-date and evidence-based concussion assessment and management
strategies. As a result of this education, Shift-trained Practitioners
are consistently providing a high standard of patient care when it comes
to concussion management and rehabilitation.
- It is recognized more than ever that effective concussion care requires
a village approach and that we all have a role to play in managing this
invisible injury. We use a mult-faceted approach for the complete management
of concussions: education, awareness, research, baseline testing, physical
testing, therapeutic strategies and return-to-play preparation.
- Baseline Testing
- Concussions can produce a wide array of symptoms, which poses a challenge
for coaches, trainers, parents, and health professionals involved in the
care of an injured athlete. The time-course for recovery also varies widely
from athlete to athlete, making it impossible to employ a "cookie-cutter"
approach to concussion rehabilitation and return-to-play timelines. Currently,
there is no reliable diagnostic test or marker that can be used to definitively
identify a concussion when it's occurred, or similarly, determine when
a concussion has resolved.
- For this reason, a growing emphasis has been placed on baseline testing
protocols that can be used to track an athlete's recovery. A baseline
test measures an athlete's "normal" before injury. Should one suffer a
concussion, the post-injury value can be compared and both are used to
track recovery and assess the level of post-injury impairment. This will
play a role in return to play and treatment strategies.
- Impact Testing
- mmediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing (ImPACT?)
is the most widely used and scientifically validated computerized cognitive
assessment tool available for concussion management. The ImPACT system
was designed to help qualified practitioners properly manage concussive
injuries and assist in return to play recommendations.
- ImPACT measures several important cognitive functions including memory
recall, reaction time, processing speed and attention/concentration. Though
not used as a stand-alone tool, ImPACT is an integral component to concussion
management and rehabilitation.
- For more information, please visit shiftconcussion.ca
or to book Baseline/Post-Injury Testing Call us at 905.240.3676.
- Cold Laser Therapy
- Laser therapy uses a beam of light that has unique physical properties. These characteristics, which other types of light do not have makes laser light so effective for pain reduction and healing.
- Laser treatment involves the application of light to injuries and affected tissue to stimulate healing and reduce pain. It is used to increase the speed, quality and strength of tissue repair, resolve inflammation and give pain relief. Low-level laser technology has been found to offer superior healing and pain relieving effects, especially in dealing with chronic problems and in the early stages of acute injuries. Low-level laser technology is a safe, drug-free option to treat pain and speed up healing.
- Custom Orthotics and Footwear
- Orthotics are custom-made shoe inserts that are individually designed to control the alignment and motion of the feet and legs during gait. Devices are customized to meet the specific requirements of each patient. They are also made to correct imbalances in the foot, which may be causing a variety of problems in the feet, knees, hips or spine. Custom orthotics can correct these issues by bringing the feet back into their proper position.
- Custom Bracing
- We offer a wide variety of off-the-shelf and custom braces to meet our patients needs.
- Braces can be used to provide support and resist harmful motion. They can be used for a variety of conditions and musculoskeletal injuries: Tennis Elbow, Knee Injuries (Patello-Femoral Syndrome, Osteoarthritis, Ligament and Meniscus Injuries), Ankle Sprains and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
- If recommended after diagnosis, an orthopedic brace can provide stability and offer support during the healing process. They can also help to prevent further or re-injury. Custom braces offer an enhanced level of stability and customized fit and may be preferred in cases of ligament injury.
- If you are unsure which type of brace best suits your needs, our professionals will be happy to help you.
- Corrective Exercises
- At FORM Health, we teach our patients how to perform specific exercises that can help strengthen and correct improper patterns in the body, which may be causing pain. Many of these corrective exercises can actually be performed in the comfort of your own home to help improve the effectiveness of the treatment you receive at our office. Targeted corrective exercises and stretches will help you feel good while also helping your body achieve balance and health.